Broccoli is high in vitamin C and dietary fiber. It has the highest levels of carotenoids. Bok Choy is a succulent leafy green vegetable with pale stems. It is also called Chinese cabbage. It is very low in calories and is used widely in soups and salads in the Cantonese cuisine. Below is a very simple recipe of broccoli and bok choy soup flavored with garlic. While all the ingredients have their health benefits, the combination of these gives a very crunchy and a tasty soup suiting a cold winter evening.
6 broccoli florets (50 gms)
2 garlic cloves, sliced
4 bok choy leaves
2 spring onion stalks, sliced
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp cooking oil (I used sunflower oil)
3 cups of water
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in pan and add bok choy leaves, sauté for 2-3 minutes until the leaves are translucent, keep them aside.
2. In another pan heat 1 tbsp oil and add garlic, stir fry for 1 min so that the flavor is released by garlic.
3. Add broccoli florets and cook on low flame for 5 minutes until the broccoli is tender.
4. Add 3 cups of water and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Add the bok choy leaves, salt, pepper and lemon juice and let is simmer for 2 minutes
6. Serve hot, garnish with spring onion.
If you do not like garlic then you can try ginger or nothing. Just enjoy with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
Preparation Time: 20 Minutes